ESPN's Law on Wieters & Reimold

Oriol3s

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta love seeing that. Seems like Law really liked what he saw of Reimold in AZ. Couple that with Jones (I hope) and Markakis, that could be a really nice OF in 2009.

Beyond Joba and Clay at 1-2. How about TB's young arms on the way. It's been mentioned before, but man TB could be a team to reckon with in 2009.

Interesting he puts Clement 4th behind Teagarden and Soto. This seems more accurate to me than some of the people who were putting him a close second behind Wieters. I don't care that much for Teagarden, but I'd much rather have Soto than Clement.

Law answered a question of mine about Wieters and the draft. Would really love Beckham at 4 but who knows if he'll be around.

Dan (Pasadena): How does the upcoming draft class compare to last year? Where would Wieters be on the board this year? Beckham compared to Moustakas/Vitters etc? Price v. Matusz?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:31 PM ET ) Premium HS bats are down this year. HS arms are still up in the air; I feel like they're down, but I just talked to a scout last night who thinks it's just as good. College arms are up. Wieters would still be at or near #1. I think Beckham is ahead of Moustakas/Vitters/etc because I know he can play in the middle of the field. Price > Matusz.

Keith Law's top-100...

14. Matt Wieters

The best prospect in the 2007 draft fell to the fifth team picking due to his bonus demands, giving the Orioles the best prospect they've had since Erik Bedard came out of the system in 2003. Wieters is a tall, wiry-strong, switch-hitting catcher who sprays the field with line drives and shows plus power from the left side. He has a plus arm behind the plate and was 92-94 off the mound as a reliever at Georgia Tech, but needs to refine his receiving skills. The biggest long-term concern with Wieters is his size: He's 6-foot-5, which means there's a lot of pressure on his knees when he squats. The history of catchers his height is filled with players who moved off the position or who suffered leg and knee injuries, including the best all-around catcher in the majors today, Joe Mauer. If Wieters can buck history and stay behind the plate, he'll be rivaling Mauer for that title in just a few years.

39. Nolan Reimold

Reimold's biggest problem as a pro has been staying on the field. He suffered foot and back injuries tied to weightlifting in 2006, then missed half of 2007 with a strained oblique. When he has been on the field and at full strength, however, he has hit for average and power and shown good patience. He has a simple swing and stays back well on the ball, hitting hard line drives to all fields. He doesn't have huge raw power like Matt LaPorta, but he should hit 20-plus homers consistently because he makes so much hard contact and has good loft in his swing. He has plenty of range to be plus in left or right field and has an average arm. He should be an above-average regular in the majors, posting consistently strong OBPs.

96. Chorye Spoone

Spoone has the potential for three plus pitches, with an explosive fastball with good bore that generates a lot of groundballs. Definite sleeper.

One More to Note

71. Sean Gallagher

Gallagher could step in as the fifth starter right now for most noncontending clubs, and has a good chance to end up a solid No. 4 in the majors. He works with a three-pitch mix: a 92-94 mph four-seamer that's a little too true, a tight 12-to-6 curve that gets swings and misses for him and a solid-average changeup with some fading action. His control is above average but his command is below, and despite having a quick arm there's some effort in his delivery that may hold his command back long term.

From his chat:

Jeff (Seattle): Where would have A. Jones ranked in the top 10 if he were eligible?? Top 10??

Keith Law: Yes, I'd say top 10.

H.F. (Atlanta, GA): Not on your list of Top 100 prospects, but what can you tell me about Cubs OF prospect Tyler Colvin? 4th outfielder? Every day player? Thanks.

Keith Law: Fourth outfielder.

Dominic (Denver): Would you take a package built around Stewart and Kolshansky for Bedard?

Keith Law: No. I'd laugh long and hard directly into the phone before turning it down, though.

RGG (NYC): Adam Jones, George Sherrill, Chris Tillman and Tony Butler enough of a return for Bedard?

Keith Law: Absolutely.

Fred (Austin, TX): Everyone feels Kershaw will be a stud. What current SP would compare to his ceiling?

Keith Law: How about Erik Bedard, since there aren't many LH starters with similar stuff and the ability to strike out that many hitters?

Alan (St. Petersburg): Is there anyone in your top 100 who you think could make a big leap this year, maybe someone you downgraded for now out of caution?

Keith Law: Chorye Spoone. Josh Smoker. Tyler Robertson. Deolis Guerra. Chris Nelson. Fautino de los Santos. Moustakas. And anyone I downgraded due to injury - Garcia, Brackman, Lincoln.

Brad (Wayne, NJ): What were the top 5 best teams farm systems? Rays, Yanks, Sox?

Keith Law: Rays, Rangers, Sox, Yanks, Reds.

Dan (Pasadena): How does the upcoming draft class compare to last year? Where would Wieters be on the board this year? Beckham compared to Moustakas/Vitters etc? Price v. Matusz?

Keith Law: Premium HS bats are down this year. HS arms are still up in the air; I feel like they're down, but I just talked to a scout last night who thinks it's just as good. College arms are up. Wieters would still be at or near #1. I think Beckham is ahead of Moustakas/Vitters/etc because I know he can play in the middle of the field. Price > Matusz.

Dan (Hell): How about a projection for the 2009 Top 10?

Keith Law: Kershaw, Snider, Fernando Martinez, Jennings, McCutchen, Wieters, Wade Davis, Price, Vitters, Triunfel. Candidates to jump to #1 overall would include Martinez, Davis, Price, Wieters, Triunfel, Porcello, maybe Austin Jackson.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=19060

Please see his top 5 farm systems and argue we shouldn't be looking to rebuild. I just don't see how anybody can argue otherwise.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Catcher

1. Matt Wieters, Baltimore

2. Geovany Soto, Chicago Cubs

3. Taylor Teagarden, Texas

4. Jeff Clement, Seattle

5. J.R. Towles, Houston

First base

1. Angel Villalona, San Francisco

2. Lars Anderson, Boston

3. Matt La Porta, Milwaukee

4. Daric Barton, Oakland

5. Joey Votto, Cincinnati

Middle infield

The crop is extremely thin, so the two positions are combined for these rankings.

1. Carlos Triunfel, Seattle (ss)

2. Elvis Andrus, Texas (ss)

3. German Duran, Texas (2b)

4. Reid Brignac, Tampa Bay (ss)

5. Hu Chin-Lung, Los Angeles Dodgers (ss)

Third base

1. Evan Longoria, Tampa Bay

2. Josh Vitters, Chicago Cubs

3. Andy LaRoche, Los Angeles Dodgers

4. Brandon Wood, Los Angeles Angels

5. Chase Headley, San Diego

Center field

1. Colby Rasmus, St. Louis

2. Fernando Martinez, New York Mets

3. Desmond Jennings, Tampa Bay

4. Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh

5. Cameron Maybin, Florida

Corner outfield

1. Jay Bruce, Cincinnati

2. Travis Snider, Toronto

3. Jose Tabata, New York Yankees

4. Jason Heyward, Atlanta

5. Nolan Reimold, Baltimore

Right-handed pitcher

1. Joba Chamberlain, New York Yankees

2. Clay Buchholz, Boston

3. Homer Bailey, Cincinnati

4. Wade Davis, Tampa Bay

5. Rick Porcello, Detroit

Left-handed pitcher

1. Clayton Kershaw, Los Angeles Dodgers

2. Franklin Morales, Colorado

3. David Price, Tampa Bay

4. Jake McGee, Tampa Bay

5. Manny Parra, Milwaukee

Keith Law

Came across this today. This further fuels my desire for Triunfel/Clement to be included with Jones.

Archived